"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight." 1 Peter 3:3-6

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Skate-A-Thon

A big THANKS to Thomas Johnson, the Dimond Ice Chalet and Dimond Center Mall for hosting my Skate-A-Thon fundraiser last night. Thomas offered the Skate-A-Thon idea as a way that the rink and mall could help support my fundraising efforts. They're super excited to have one of their skating coaches serving as Mrs. Alaska this year and really wanted to jump on the Support Lyndsay Bandwagon- "All Aboard!" I say. The more the merrier.

Last night's event offered an opportunity for the public to come in and skate with me while directly donating their admission and skate rental cost to me for my trip to Vegas. It was a creative fundraising idea and I am so thankful for their willingness to join my fundraising team. It was a fun night and I really enjoyed getting to spend time talking with the skaters, especially the younger kiddos, doing a few jumps and spins and posing for pictures and signing autographs.

We had a great turn-out and I really enjoyed my time networking and visiting with the folks that were there. I met several kids up from the lower 48 and they were absolutely tickled to take a picture with me to take home to show to mom and dad, friends, teachers, etc. I got to spend some extra time with some of my the Special O skater I coach and two of my husband's high school students (both are fellow figure skaters) showed up-though there was talk of the possibility of extra credit. The best part was, all I had to do was show up and put my skates on and hang out. I'm pretty much more comfortable on the ice than anywhere else so there certainly wasn't any work involved. Pretty easy for a fundraiser :)

No comments:

Post a Comment