"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight." 1 Peter 3:3-6

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Alaska Music Awards

It was a huge honor to be asked to be a part of the first Alaska Music Awards. I truly believe in the importance of highlighting the gifts and talents of Alaskans and I certainly have a love for music (and dressing up!) so I was thrilled to be a part of this premiere Red Carpet event.

Not only did I get to share my Red Carpet walk with my handsome hubby, Lem and my pageant sister, Courtney Anderson who was co-hosting the event, I saw a handful of old friends who were also involved with the event. My friend and colleague Anna Castillo was there with her husband who was running the sound for the event. Anna and I worked together for several years at the Providence Center for Child Development and still serve on the Anchorage Association for the Education of Young Children board together. Like me and so many others, Anna works day in and day out to support young children and bring awareness to the needs of them and their families.
So much of the talent that was featured and awarded included young people. It was so great to be a part of something that was bringing attention to and honoring the positive things that our young people are doing in our community. It's so common to hear the negatives broadcast in the media and it's unfortunate that there are so many young people out there working for positive change in our world that don't get to publicity they deserve. One of my favorite acts of the night was only 15 years old and what an amazing and talented performer she is! Another nice encounter was our former high school classmate, Phil Crawford who performed at the event. Just a little shout-out to the Dimond Class of 1999! :)

I was honored to present the Lifetime Achievement Award to Elvi Gray-Jackson. Her service with the Anchorage Municipality began 26 years ago and today she serves as a member of the Anchorage Assembly representing Midtown. During my presentation of the Award, I gave props to all the ladies who were in the crowd. I mentioned that I was excited to be there and that it was important to me enough to put on a sleeveless dress and open toes shoes, even though it was only 2 degrees outside (and the temp continued to fall well below zero that night!)


I also presented the Award for Best Country Artist. Country music has always had a special place in my heart. I'm pretty sure I was at least 12 years old before I knew any other kind of music even existed. I grew up listening to The Judds, Anne Murray, Randy Travis and was an avid Shania Twain, Dixie Chicks and Faith Hill listener through my high school years. Despite the cold, the crowd enjoyed a night of live performances by local artists and it was a delight to honor those who are sharing their musical talents and gifts with the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment