"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight." 1 Peter 3:3-6

Monday, May 17, 2010

Mrs. Alaska America Pageant

With Eden, one of my fellow contestants last year



On May 15th I attended the Mrs. Alaska America pageant for the first time. I knew a few of the contestants and was interested to see the differences between our pageant and this one. There were a lot of differences, but at the end of the night, just like in the United States pageant system, here was a group of Alaska’s married women willing to offer the best of themselves and their accomplishments to a panel of judges and an audience as they sought the title of Mrs. Alaska. It was also fun to get to see some of the girls that competed with me last year, including Eden, a hard-working mom of eight!

With Jessica Nolin, Miss Alaska 2008




I sat with my friend Jessica and her family to cheer on her mom who was competing this year. I've known Jessica for nearly ten years, since she was in 8th grade a I judged her in an FFA speaking event. From their she became a state officer and, in 2006, ran for National FFA Office. My husband and I mentored and coached her as she prepared for the candidate process and attended National FFA Convention with her in Indianapolis that year. Though Jessica did not get elected to a National Officer position that year, that process had quite an effect on her life. From there, Jessica competed for, and won, the title of Miss Alaska. It was pretty special to be there holding Jessica's hand and cheering for her mom as they announced the pageant winners, just as I'd held her mom's hand all those years ago in that stadium in Indianapolis as they announced the National Officers. Jessica's mom Marlene was awarded the business woman of the year award as well as Mrs. Hostess and 2nd Runner Up! We were all very proud of her for all her hard work, dedication and being willing to put herself out there in front of the judges in the first place.

With Marlene, Jessica's mom



Congratulations are due to Tracy Zadra, the new Mrs. Alaska America. She rocked evening gown in her stunning blue dress and portrayed a poise and grace that went unmatched. I look forward to seeing her at events this year and hope she enjoys her year as Mrs. Alaska as much as I am already enjoying mine!


With Tracy Zadra, Mrs. Alaska America 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment